Knee Replacement Surgeon In India – Dr. Aniket Patil
If you are suffering from hip, knee or any other joint pain and are looking for the best care, we at Om Hip and Knee Specialty Orthopedic and Physiotherapy Clinic provide complete, personalized evaluation and treatment for patients with the most severely damaged hips and knees. We use state-of-the-art, most advanced treatments for joint reconstruction for each individual to enable them to enjoy a Healthy life. With advances in technology and better materials and designs have led to a hip, knee and joint replacements that allow speedier healing and last for years.
We treat patients from all over Maharashtra, India including Pune, PCMC Pimpri Chinchwad, Mumbai, Nashik, Aurangabad, Nagpur, Sangli, Satara, Karad, Kolhapur, Solapur, Ahmednagar. In case you need the first opinion or a second opinion, please feel free to get in touch with us.
Total Hip & Knee Replacement Surgeon In Pune Mumbai:
Dr. Aniket Patil is the best Hip and knee specialist in Pune Mumbai. In this procedure, the knee is replaced with an artificial joint. It requires major surgery and hospitalization. The surgeon replaces the damaged portions of the knee with plastic and metal parts.
The repayment of Same-Day-Both-Knee Surgery is that it takes you half the time to fully recover from the knee surgery. Although you are out of bed and walking on the second day after surgery. And climbing stairs 5 days after surgery, it takes approximately 3 months to fully recover from this surgery. Have complete freedom to do what you like.
What Is Knee Replacement Surgery Procedure..?
Total Knee Replacement / Total Knee Arthroplasty surgery is a safe and effective procedure to relieve pain, correct leg deformity, and help you resume normal activities. Total Knee replacement surgery is required for patients with severe knee osteoarthritis [wear and tear]. If your knee is severely damaged by arthritis or injury, it may be hard for you to perform simple activities, such as walking or climbing stairs. You may even begin to feel pain while you are sitting or lying down. Total Knee replacement relieves knee pain and increases your activity level. In this surgery worn out part of bones and cushions in the knee are excised and replaced by artificial materials [metal alloy and plastic].
Knee replacement surgery was first performed in 1968. Since then, improvements in surgical materials and techniques have greatly increased its effectiveness.
Whether you have just begun exploring treatment options or have already decided to have total knee replacement surgery, the following information will help you understand more about this valuable procedure.
The knee is the joint where the bones of the lower and upper legs meet. The knee moves like a hinge, allowing you to sit, squat, walk or jump. The knee consists of three bones:
- Femur – the upper leg bone, or thigh bone.
- Tibia – the bone at the front of the lower leg, or shin bone.
- Patella – the thick, triangular bone that sits over the other bones at the front of the knee, or kneecap.
The ends of the bones are covered with a layer of cartilage, a slick, elastic material that absorbs shock and allows the bones to glide easily against one another as they move.
Between the tibia and femur bone are two crescent-shaped pads [cushion] of connective tissue that reduce friction and disperse the weight of the body across the joint. They are:
- The lateral meniscus.
- The medial meniscus.
The bones are held together by a joint capsule, which consists of two distinct layers an outer layer of dense connective tissue and an inner membrane, called the synovium, which secretes a fluid to lubricate the joint.
Two groups of muscles support the knee. They are:
- Hamstrings muscles on the back of the thigh, which run from the hip to just below the knee and work to bend the knee.
- Quadriceps four muscles on the front of the thigh that run from the hip to the knee and straighten the knee from a bent position.
knee hip replacement surgeon in Nagpur
Knee Joint Pain Osteoarthritis
What is Osteoarthritis of Knee Joint pain?
Degeneration of joint cartilage [cushion] and the underlying bone. The most common cause of chronic knee pain and disability is arthritis.
Common causes of knee arthritis :
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Arthritis following injuries
Osteoarthritis usually occurs after the age of 50-55. The cartilage becomes soft and undergo wear and tear. The bones then rub against one another causing knee pain and stiffness. Rheumatoid Arthritis is a disease in which the synovial membrane becomes thickened and inflamed which damages the cartilage and eventually causes cartilage loss, pain, and stiffness. Post Traumatic Arthritis can follow a serious knee injury like a fracture or severe tears of the knee’s ligaments.
Total Knee Replacement Surgery
The Indication Of Total Knee Replacement Surgery:
Total knee replacement surgery decision should be a cooperative one between you, your family and orthopedic surgeon.
- Knee pain that limits your activities of daily living, including walking, stairs climbing and getting in and out of chairs. It may be very difficult to walk for 50 to 100 feet and may require support.
- Resting knee joint pain. Severe knee pain throughout the day.
- Chronic knee pain not relieved with non-operative treatment [like oral painkillers, local gel application, braces]
- Bowing deformity of Knee joint
- Restricted knee movement or stiffness in knee joint
Knee Replacement Surgery In Pune
Single or Both Knee Total Knee Replacement:
Simultaneous Bilateral Total Knee Replacement – A Simultaneous procedure means to replace both knees on the same day, under one anesthesia. It includes undergoing anesthesia only once, fewer days in the hospital, and only one rehabilitation that lets you resume normal activities sooner than two separate ones. Simultaneous knee replacement surgery is also a good option if the condition of your both knee joints is so poor that replacing only one joint would still leave you unable to function during physical therapy, thereby slowing your recovery.
Staged Bilateral Total Knee Replacement – The Staged procedure means that both knee replacements take place as two separate surgical events. Surgeries are performed several months apart from one from the other, requiring two hospital stays, two anesthesias and two rehabilitation periods. People with age over 80 years and those with cardiovascular or lung disease are usually offered staged procedures. If you have any significant medical risks, you are probably better off having two separate operations.
Pre-operative [Before Surgery] Preparation:
- Medical Evaluation
- Physical examination with an orthopedic surgeon and physician several weeks before the Single or both knee Total Knee Replacement.
- Investigations: X-Ray, Blood investigations, ECG, 2D ECHO, Urine tests
- Dental Check-up.
- Cardiology check-up.
- Additional medical conditions assessment.
- Arrangement for blood transfusion.
- Medication modification: Medicines like blood thinners should be adjusted or stopped as per physician advice.
Total Knee Replacement Surgery:
Admission to Hospital: Patient will be admitted one day before surgery.
- General Anaesthesia – Patient will be sleeping throughout the procedure.
- Spinal (epidural) Anaesthesia– It anesthetizes your body from the waist down.
In Epidural anesthesia thin plastic tube is inserted in the lower back, through which calculated dose of medication is injected during surgery, making only the legs numb below the waist. It is safe for the elderly, those who have high blood pressure or heart trouble & during surgery it helps reduce bleeding. After the surgery, it can be continued as epidural analgesia, eliminating the need for sedatives and allow early exercises.
Intravenous antibiotics are started just before surgery and continued for about 2 to 3 days after surgery.
Surgical time is about 90 to 110 minutes. Along with surgical time, pre-operative preparation, anesthesia and recovery stay will keep patient in an operation room for 3 to 4 hour. In this surgery, the damaged cartilage and bone surface will be removed saw, then position a new metal and plastic joint surfaces to restore the alignment and function of your knee.
Components of the Artificial Joint:
- Femoral component– Made of a highly polished strong metal.
- Tibial component– Made of durable plastic held in a metal tray.
- Patellar component– Plastic.
Used to fix these components to bone.
Knee joint pain doctors in Viman Nagar
The patient will have a large dressing on the knee to protect your wound. Various drains will syphon off blood from the operation site to prevent it from collecting inside the wound which will be removed 24 hours after surgery. Your wound dressing will be changed regularly until it’s healed over. If required blood transfusion will be done as per reports and examination.
The staff and physiotherapist will help you to get up and walk about as quickly as possible. Generally, you’ll be helped to stand within 12-24 hours after your operation. Walking with a frame or crutches is encouraged. Most people are able to walk independently with sticks after about a 1 to 2 weeks but this can vary depending on the individual.
Generally, one knee Total Knee Replacement patients are discharged after 3 to 4 days of surgery and in case of both knee Total Knee Replacement patients are discharged after 5 to 6 days. Discharge to home is generally assessed by a recovery of the patient.
During your stay in the hospital, a physiotherapist will teach you exercises to help strengthen your knee. You can usually begin these the day after your operation. It’s important to follow the physiotherapist’s advice to avoid complications or dislocation of your new joint. It’s normal to experience initial discomfort while walking and exercising, and your legs and feet may be swollen.
Wound Care– The stitches or staples will be removed about two weeks after surgery.
Possible Complications of Surgery:
Because of modern advanced medicine, the complication rate of Total Knee Replacement surgery is less. Some of them are :
- Infection: Can be avoided with modern well-equipped operation room complex, antibiotics, etc..
- Wound healing problem
- A blood clot in leg vein: Prevented by exercises, blood thinning medication, anti DVT stockings
- Medical complications: Heart attack, stroke, etc.
Your Recovery At Home
Total Knee Replacement is major operation and muscles and tissues surrounding your new knee will take time to heal. You feel extremely tired at first.
Follow the advice of the surgical team. The exercises your physiotherapist gives you are an important part of your recovery. It’s essential to continue with them once you’re at home.
Your rehabilitation will be monitored by a physiotherapist. You should be able to stop using your crutches or walking frame and resume normal leisure activities six weeks after surgery. However, it may take up to three months for pain and swelling to settle down. You should be able to resume most normal light activities of daily living within three to six weeks following surgery. Some discomfort with activity, and at night, is common for several weeks.
Even after you have recovered, it’s best to avoid extreme movements or sports where there’s a risk of falling, such as skiing or mountain biking. Your doctor or a physiotherapist can advise you.
Some loss of appetite is common for a few days after surgery. A balanced diet, often with an iron supplement, is important to promote proper tissue healing and restore muscle strength. Be sure to drink plenty of fluids.
Care After Total Knee Replacement:
- Continue to take prescribed painkillers or anti-inflammatories to help manage pain and swelling for the initial 3 to 4 weeks after surgery.
- Use your walking aids but aim to gradually decrease the amount you rely on them as your leg feels stronger.
- keep up your exercises to help prevent stiffness and do not force your knee
- Do not sit with your legs crossed for six weeks after your operation.
- Raise your leg when lying in bed and use ice packs to help with swelling.
- Resume sitting, standing, walking up and down stairs.
- Light sporting activities like swimming/ golf/ driving permitted after 3 months.